Samuel Maverick was the son of Rev. John Maverick and Mary Gye of Devonshire, England. He settled at Winnissimet, Massachusetts in 1624 and later removed to Noddle’s Island at Boston Harbor. In 1628, Maverick married the widow of David Thomson. He had a land interest in Maine from a patent under Sir Ferdinando Gorges and at Boston, Chelsea, and Braintree. Maverick became involved in inter-colonial trade, supplying New England goods to Virginia. After the Pequot War in 1638, he bought several African slaves who had been traded for Pequot captives. His confrontations with Puritan authorities over his rights as an Anglican sent him to prison and the scorn of many. Maverick quit the colony by 1648. He returned to England after the Restoration, and there wrote critical assessment of the state of colonial affairs, A Briefe Discription of New England and the Severall Townes Therein (1660). Four years later Charles II appointed him to a committee to investigate complaints from New England. After the expiration of the commission’s term, Maverick moved to New York in the service of the king. ANBO. ODNB.